Yes, this accusation comes up often.
When someone calls head covering legalistic, I first ask what they mean by legalism. The word is sometimes used so broadly that it comes to mean any obedience another Christian considers unnecessary.
I understand legalism as seeking righteousness through rule-keeping or adding human requirements to Scripture as a measure of spirituality. Head covering can be imposed legalistically if someone coerces a woman into wearing one. It can also be practiced legalistically if she believes it earns God’s favor or makes her more righteous than an uncovered woman.
But obedience offered in faith is not legalism. If a woman studies 1 Corinthians 11 and becomes convinced that she should cover during worship, acting upon that conviction is an effort to obey Scripture—not to earn salvation. We are saved by grace through faith in Christ, not by anything we place upon our heads.
Still, sincere obedience does not make us immune to pride. If I begin believing that I am better than another woman because I cover, my obedience has become entangled with self-importance. That pride must be confronted quickly.
When accused of legalism, we can ask calmly:
- How do you define legalism?
- What have I said or done that makes you believe I am acting legalistically?
We should remain willing to examine our motives and engage in loving discussion. However, we are not obligated to defend ourselves against every hostile accusation. Faithfulness does not require quarreling.
Examine yourself, answer gently, and resist both defensiveness and pride. Let your covering communicate trust in God—not superiority over others.
Questions for Reflection
- Does my obedience cultivate humility or self-importance?
- Can I explain my conviction without implying that I am more faithful than others?
- Am I guarding truth and love with equal care?
For more biblical study and practical guidance, see Recovering Covering: Scripture, Conscience, and the Beauty of Biblical Head Covering.

No comments:
Post a Comment